ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2017 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Friday, May 19, 2017

The ugliness of reality

And the logical gibberish of the anti-intelligent:
“No reasonable person would be offended by the observation that African people have curlier hair than the Chinese, notwithstanding the possibility of some future environment in which it is no longer true. But we can recognize a contention that Chinese people are genetically predisposed to be better table tennis players than Africans as silly, and the contention that they are smarter than Africans as ugly, because it is a matter of ethical principle that individual and cultural accomplishment is not tied to the genes in the same way as the appearance of our hair.”
And they wonder why they're so reliably wrong. You can certainly fight science, reason, and observation with "ethical principle" if you like, but it's not going to work very well. Nor is it going to convince anyone with the intellectual ability to penetrate your rhetoric and understand the irrelevance of your ethical principles.

The idea that Chinese people are not smarter on average than Africans because the idea is ugly is like a programmer insisting that his code works correctly, despite the constant crashing of the program, because it is more elegantly written than the code that actually functions. Sometimes, indeed, very often, reality is ugly, or at least falls well short of what our aesthetic preferences would wish it to be.

Labels: ,

100 Comments:

Anonymous JN May 19, 2017 11:11 AM  

A can't be A because I don't like A.

Blogger Quadko May 19, 2017 11:14 AM  

...because it is more elegantly written...
Boy, I wish I'd never heard that argument made, but I have. Usually by organizational focused people trying to work the system rather than get the job done. Sounds like you have, too!

Anonymous basementhomebrewer May 19, 2017 11:15 AM  

Speaking of "ethical principle" is deception, of ones-self, or others unethical? Is it ethical to pour hatred onto someone who is merely observing the truth, no matter how "ugly" that truth may be?

Anonymous SidVic May 19, 2017 11:16 AM  

Speaking of the chinese; they are moving hard into the biological underpinning of intelligence. They just set up an institute and funded it generously. I fully expect to see super smart designer kids in my lifetime, but they won't have round eyes.

Blogger ZhukovG May 19, 2017 11:17 AM  

In 20 years these people will have to be restrained from murdering all of those they champion today.

Anonymous BBGKB May 19, 2017 11:19 AM  

and the contention that they are smarter than Africans as ugly,

Shouldn't that be" contention that Asians are smarter than Africans are ugly"?

Anonymous Tipsy May 19, 2017 11:19 AM  

It's ok to observe that the fact Irish Setters are dumb as a brick and that Border Collies are smart as a whip is due to breeding.

Bring up the fact that people with different evolutionary histories have different statistical measures of their abilities, which are, at least partially, genetically determined: That's heresy.

Blogger Huggums May 19, 2017 11:22 AM  

Still here. The idea that Chinese are smarter than Africans on average isn't ugly. It may hurt people's feelings, but it isn't ugly. The social policies that sometimes follow this plain fact can be ugly (forced sterilization, mass murder in the name of eugenics), but that's a problem with the ethics of those who come up with these "solutions."

OpenID rufusdog May 19, 2017 11:23 AM  

And the worst part is things will never get better if we continue telling ourselves lies. I was in the ghetto yesterday, I was struck by just how bad things are, how do we get to a place where it acceptable for grown men to act like this, the dull eyes, pants down below their ass cheeks, mumbled/slurred speech almost unintelligible, wandering the streets jobless.

Real racism is not wanting/expecting better of blacks.

Anonymous DirkH May 19, 2017 11:24 AM  

"and the contention that they are smarter than Africans as ugly, "

Use this to demand abolition of Affirmative Action.

Anonymous BadThink655321 May 19, 2017 11:27 AM  

SidVic wrote:I fully expect to see super smart designer kids in my lifetime...First, it won't be cost effective and, second, manufactured devices can be pushed to greater speeds than biological devices. If you hold the Church-Turing thesis to be true, then what the computer looks like and what it's made of is irrelevant. As Feynman said, "Computer theory has been developed to a point where it realizes that it doesn't make any difference; when you get to a universal computer, it doesn't matter how it's manufactured, how it's actually made."

Since this is so, what will distinguish the "smart" from the "super smart" will be storage, speed, and the ability to go "off script".

To this last point, Vox's remark "Sometimes, indeed, very often, reality is ugly" gets to the heart of the matter. If you want something to be as good as a human, it will also have to be as bad as a human. That is, it will have to be programmed to see reality as ugly. Our machines will need "original sin" and I don't think we've thought through the consequences of that.

Blogger Cail Corishev May 19, 2017 11:29 AM  

"it is a matter of ethical principle that individual and cultural accomplishment is not tied to the genes"

I know this is how they think, but I don't know if I've ever seen it stated so plainly before. Unless maybe by James Taggart.

Blogger Bellguard May 19, 2017 11:31 AM  

Because it's not like the Chinese have given humanity innumerable contributions or anything.

And related, how many Chinese basketball players do you see?

Anonymous TheHiss May 19, 2017 11:32 AM  

Chinese people ARE genetically predisposed to be better table tennis players than Africans, just as Africans are genetically disposed to be better basketball players than Chinese. There's nothing silly about it. It's a matter of body proportion and the size of different muscle groups - both of which are genetically determined.

Blogger Peter Jackson May 19, 2017 11:36 AM  

As Charles Murray pointed out, IQ differences between individuals of the same race are larger than the small differences between races. Therefore, the only sound social policies are those that treat people as individuals.

Another "ugly" truth is the wider standard deviation of IQ among men, which likely explains why most companies are run by men; it's ludicrous to assume that women are under-represented in executive ranks because of discrimination. If that's true, then the criminal justice system must be heavily biased against men, as most individuals in prison are men--due once again to the wider standard deviation in male IQ as compared to women.

Blogger Robert May 19, 2017 11:36 AM  

Liberals are attacking the notion of intelligence in another way. I just read that a Harvard student, presumably black, submitted a rap album as his PhD thesis. I can just imagine how intelligent it is.
A couple of years ago a team of black girls won a national debate championship by submitting rap-style gibberish as their argument.
Getting a PhD and winning a debating contest are considered evidence of high intelligence.

These idiocies attempt to destroy any meaning intelligence may have. They work only because of the extreme reluctance of liberals to criticize anything blacks do. Maybe I'm a cockeyed optimist, but this nonsense is bound to boomerang eventually.

Anonymous Rfvujm May 19, 2017 11:36 AM  

How many Olympic medals does China have in table tennis? How many Olympic medals do the various African nations have in track events?

Multiculturalism floods western countries with non-European races, and it is no longer straightforward to identify which genetic groups excel in which physical activities, if you only look at the Olympics anyway.

Is that how they wanted to combat "racism"?

Blogger Zaklog the Great May 19, 2017 11:40 AM  

The funny thing is, a lot of us were willing to play along with this equalitarian nonsense, but then they kept insisting that, nope, we're not all the same: Whitey is especially bad.

https://youtu.be/knMH16z0tig

Anonymous Edjamacator May 19, 2017 11:40 AM  

God willed the earth into existence, so they think it's only fair they get to will it into a Utopia.

Anonymous BBGKB May 19, 2017 11:41 AM  

IQ related:

Leftists are always saying non Asian minorities are too stupid to face consequences now they found a brown girl too smart. Just like the wise latrina on the supreme court she is probably stupider than Coco the sign language gorilla

http://pamelageller.com/2017/05/terrorist-tried-kill-christians-church-brainy-jail-judge-says.html/

Anonymous Steve May 19, 2017 11:42 AM  

Argumentum ad ugh

Anonymous Überdeplorable Psychedelic Cat Grass May 19, 2017 11:49 AM  

Designer children you say?

Blogger dc.sunsets May 19, 2017 11:50 AM  

Ethical principle. Or as I call it, religious dogma.

The idea that Chinese people are not smarter on average than Africans because the idea is ugly is like a programmer insisting that his code works correctly, despite the constant crashing of the program, because it is more elegantly written than the code that actually functions.

Or why even the prettiest airplane has to fly during tests, and if it doesn't, it's scrapped. (Unless the aeronautical firm is fully converged, in which case it sells to the Pentagon.)

I say again. Love it or hate it, eugenics is due a major return to fashion. Eugenics' phenotype, however, is not fixed, and collective behaviors (sometimes at the level of public policy) will express within a spectrum that spans from benign to mass violence.

Left cultists doubling-down on their Good-guy/Bad-guy Manichaean morality play actually are pushing the future expression of eugenics massively toward full, actual warfare.

The Left's insistence on demonizing normal white men pushes the pendulum way too far to port; they seem utterly incapable of grasping that when the pendulum swings back, its velocity and amplitude extreme (to starboard) are dictated by the prior extreme.

The more they populate their mental construct with White Male Demons, the more they insure the actual rise of their worst nightmares.

Blogger Lazarus May 19, 2017 11:53 AM  

SJW gibbering: ....because it is a matter of ethical principle that individual and cultural accomplishment is not tied to the genes in the same way as the appearance of our hair.

SCIENCE: For the first time, scientists at King's College London have identified a gene linking the thickness of the grey matter in the brain to intelligence. The study is published today in Molecular Psychiatry and may help scientists understand biological mechanisms behind some forms of intellectual impairment.

I [expletive deleted] luv SCIENCE!

Blogger Nate May 19, 2017 11:54 AM  

rabbits.... freakin' rabbits... jeez..

2+2 /= 4 because 4 is not as aesthetically pleasing to me... so my truth... is 2+2 = 22

Anonymous Faceless May 19, 2017 11:57 AM  

@15

I've heard this fatuous nonsense about central tendency all my life and found it to be innumerate whenever I've heard it.

If you have a population A and population B, and you are told "On average, population A has more of property X than property B", then you are told a fact:

prob(a has property X| a in A) > prob(b has property X | b in B)

That's how conditional probabilities work. That's what these general things say. It doesn't say that there exists no b in B such that there is an a in A such that b has X and a does not have X. It says it's rarer for that to happen than the reverse.

So this appeal that you can find extremes literally makes you an extremist. It's the argument of the people who want women preachers when they are brought up against the reality of experience plus scripture that the probability of finding the right woman is considerably below the probability of finding the right man. It's the argument of the people who want women doctors when they are told men as doctors perform better and do more good. It's the argument of the people who want more women soldiers because they know one GI Jane, when men as soldiers perform better.

If you were in charge of allocating resources, and you wanted to spite that probability because you were bound and determined to find a b having X, you would be squandering your resources. If you were in government, you would be robbing the taxpayer. If you were in a church, you would be robbing God. You would be mismanaging trust placed in you to make a wise decision. Sure, maybe such a b exists, but you're far more likely to get the X you want with an a.

It's just stubbornness to stare at the conditional probability and demand to find the extreme example.

Finally, the claim that intra-group spread exceeds the difference in averages at best tells you that you made the groups wrong, but most likely means you just have extreme examples. Would you be satisfied with the most extreme property X member of A compared to the most extreme non-property X member of B? Of course you wouldn't - you would say I cherry picked the examples - it would mean nothing to you.

Blogger Otto Lamp May 19, 2017 11:59 AM  

And yet, I bet the author supports California discriminating against Asians when it comes to college acceptance, because Asians score so highly on the SAT and have such high grades in HS (in other words, because Asians as a group are so much smarter).

Anonymous The OASF May 19, 2017 12:06 PM  

Funny how this post hit home. I was recently at a very "high up" meeting, during which calls were to go out for an important managerial position to be filled.

From the usual suspects, all I heard were the SJW trigger words such as "affable" & "organizer" & "communicator." This talk was all to reverse-emphasize the need to appoint someone who is technically proficient and could, ya know, actually get something done without a small army of staff and scores of hours direction from sub-committee discussions... in favor of the woman/minority/woman-minority/thoroughly-vetted-and-proven-affable-atheist managerial hire.

My advice: when you hear these trigger words come up, shout them down, just as you would shout down the SJW "code of conduct" charade.

Blogger Nick S May 19, 2017 12:08 PM  

The cake eaters...paradoxical...stupid '60s...the ad hominem age...I can't even...

Anonymous Avalanche May 19, 2017 12:12 PM  

"a contention that Chinese people are genetically predisposed to be better table tennis players than Africans as silly"

However, the FACT that (west) africans are genetically predisposed to be better long-distance runners -- not silly at all!

And the (racially!) different distribution of, saw, fast twitch and slow twitch muscles? Tays-Sachs disease? Sickle cell? Riiiiight... "social constructs."

HOW can a pathologist tell the race of an ex-person merely by looking at the BONES, clean of flesh?! WHY does some meds work rather effectively in black men but almost not-at-all in White men? WHY are cross-race blood transfusion and organ transplant difficulties NEVEREVEREVER discussed in public?

InVINCible stupidity based in a complete lack of education!

(Absolutely disgusted!)

Blogger wreckage May 19, 2017 12:15 PM  

To these people, intellect and particularly educational attainment are the only virtues; almost the markers of human versus subhuman (subhuman being trailer trash and rural whites).

In their world it is impossible for a person to be less intelligent but not thereby less human or less noble; loyalty, morality, courage, hard work; none are of value.

So, within their framework, to say "Chinese people are on average more intelligent than African people" JUST IS to say "African people are filthy, subhuman, and degenerate".

And you're not allowed to say that about anybody but working class white people.

Blogger SJ May 19, 2017 12:17 PM  

It's a full standard deviation between American blacks and whites. It's two full standard deviations between African blacks and whites. This is not a small difference.

Anonymous Avalanche May 19, 2017 12:17 PM  

@12 " If you want something to be as good as a human, it will also have to be as bad as a human. That is, it will have to be programmed to see reality as ugly. Our machines will need "original sin" and I don't think we've thought through the consequences of that."

What was the name of Microsoft's "girl" who turned racist/Nazi from exposure to ... texts, was it? Tweets? REALITY is ugly. (Welcome to reality!) We, some of us, can work to create AREAS of beauty and honor -- but the vast majoirty of humans ("meat computers") will not EVER be anyhting other than ugly. And violent. And destructive. And parasitical. And and and and ...

Secula seculorum!

(p.s., NOT despair. A good hard look at reality!)

Blogger DonReynolds May 19, 2017 12:20 PM  

When comparing Negroes and Chinese, the silly people freely admit to the role of genetics in life, which are freely inherited by the offspring from the parents. These same tendencies that have come to define one group and the other, which have only become stronger during eons of relative isolation.

The silly people do not deny genetics, they simply want to pick and choose which traits they want to admit to. This presents a special problem. Which traits should be mentioned and which traits should be considered "ugly", meaning it would be anti-social to make any mention of them. The same lack of impulse control and aggressiveness on the part of Negroes may be the "ugly" fact of their criminal behaviors, but may also make them incredibly wealthy as sports champions.

Genetics is a toolbox of abilities and tendencies provided you by your parents when you were born. Every advantage is also a disadvantage. Every limitation or deficit is also an opportunity. Only a Leftist Liberal egalitarian can even pretend to sweep away genetic differences, while still clinging to the ones they believe are flattering.

Which returns us to the original thesis....SJWs LIE anytime they have something profound to say. They do not even believe themselves, but they expect you to follow and obey.

Blogger Doom May 19, 2017 12:22 PM  

Ugly. Absolutely. Yet, when you realize the beauty in that, the humbling that comes with it, can even see beyond it in a mirror, the beginning of happiness occurs. Now, there is right ugly and wrong. If it is true, that is where to find beauty. Ever seen an ugly baby? Well, for me, they are all ugly. But they are also all a right ugly. Those who hate the truth? That's a bad ugly.

I will always be a bit stuck on that. I think most are. It is coming to the right decision, if not completely at least partly outside of that as an absolute were more than the joy of life, but wisdom begins. I sometimes wonder if Jesus was actually a homely man, to drive home the point, as, perhaps, was Mary. Or maybe I am just trying to fit in. :p

Blogger tz May 19, 2017 12:23 PM  

Ethics must be based in Truth. The Pharisees created a bunch of rules but they were false.
Welfare and other things destroyed the Black family - Some plants need to be in greenhouses. Removing the glass means the cacti and tropical plants will all die at the next frost.
The stupid equalitarians cannot ask if and how we can integrate and assimilate other races and cultures. We want to keep savages and call them noble, not attempt to make them noble.

Blogger wreckage May 19, 2017 12:26 PM  

@35, it is generally held that Jesus was homely.

"For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground. He hath no form nor comeliness, and when we shall see Him, there is no beauty that we should desire Him."

Anonymous a deplorable rubberducky May 19, 2017 12:27 PM  

It's all about the encounter with reality. When science encounters reality and things don't go as theorized, reality wins and the theory has to be updated. When leftism has that same encounter, the theory wins and reality must be updated.

These days they'll tell you in all earnestness that biology has no relation to actual gender despite all physical evidence between one's legs. That's how bad it has gotten, but we're not done yet. Having severed its feedback loop with reality almost completely, leftism is poised to careen even further out of control into LaLa Land.

And to think, they consider themselves the "reality based community", and claim to be the ones who safekeep science. Nothing could be farther from the truth. They are the camp of anti-science, how can they be otherwise when that got the first thing - the encounter with reality - EXACTLY BACKWARDS.

Anonymous Scott May 19, 2017 12:28 PM  

Progressives will swear up and down that there is a "gay" gene (they are born that way after all), but intelligence differences cannot possibly be genetic (that's hate speech).

Just because you (really, really, really) want something to be true will never make it true.

Anonymous WinstonWebb May 19, 2017 12:31 PM  

Progressives will swear up and down that there is a "gay" gene

Excellent!
That means there is a CURE.
(Betcha that will make a head assplode)

Anonymous Grayman May 19, 2017 12:36 PM  

I have been having a debate within the local school system.... you can guess how that has gone. You might like this chart even if you already know the outcome:

http://imgur.com/zTWmGaO

Anonymous Avalanche May 19, 2017 12:37 PM  

@26 "... people who want women doctors when they are told men as doctors perform better and do more good."

Ah, y'all should've seen the astonishment, followed by wide-eyed awakening, when I pointed out to a neighbor (now a tribe member) that avoiding a negro doctor was required: because you could not EVER know if that "doctor" had become one mainly/merely because no med school prof/admin had dared flunk it.

The old joke: "what do you call the guy who graduates at the bottom of a 300-member med school class? You call him doctor."

Not sure if that's dialectic (I think so) or rhetoric -- but it DOES instantly make the bunny-person think. (If they're capable of thinking.)

Blogger SteelPalm May 19, 2017 12:38 PM  

Look at all these weasel words and phrases!

We believe there is a fairly wide consensus among behavioral scientists in favor of our views

it is a matter of ethical principle

Translation- "We believe in the power of Political Correctness over science and reality! Science and reality be damned!"

And Steve Sailer is right. One sees this constant Good Guy vs. Bad Guy zeitgeist everywhere nowadays.

Blogger DonReynolds May 19, 2017 12:45 PM  

@23 dc.sunsets
"Eugenics' phenotype, however, is not fixed, and collective behaviors (sometimes at the level of public policy) will express within a spectrum that spans from benign to mass violence."

Very good point.
A society based on manual slave labor is going to prefer eugenics entirely different from a society based on entrepreneurial and technical skills. A NFL lineman may have entirely different genetics from a runway model or exotic dancer.

I expect eugenics will be flexible enough that we will not have to popularly agree on which traits are "better" than other traits. While I would normally minimize the role of sex as a motivator, it may well be that one of the largest societies on this planet (China) may have triggered that motivator by their own One Child policy, which resulted in gender selection and an imbalance between male and female cohorts. In ancient times, men raided (or invaded) their neighbors to find suitable mates. Perhaps the modern solution may be a deliberate eugenics movement to restore that balance.

Anonymous Grayman May 19, 2017 12:48 PM  

@4 Sidvic

Word in the field is that the Chinese elite have already been playing with at least the current generation children using crispr and known genetic targets.


@23 DC

The more they populate their mental construct with White Male Demons, the more they insure the actual rise of their worst nightmares.

….One day the response to “racist monster!!” will be “you want to see a monster? Hey Bob, hold my beer while I depopulate a continent”

Anonymous Grayman May 19, 2017 12:51 PM  

SteelPalm wrote:Look at all these weasel words and phrases!

We believe there is a fairly wide consensus among behavioral scientists in favor of our views


As soon as you hear the word "consensus" it must be killed with fire!! Whatever it it may be, LOTS of fire.

Blogger Chiva May 19, 2017 12:51 PM  

"because it is more elegantly written than the code that actually functions."

The most sublime code is the code that I don't have to look at, it just works.

Anonymous VFM #7916 May 19, 2017 12:53 PM  

Also note that beauty is in the History, talent, skill, and love of reality that is best encapsulated in Western Civilization and God.

There's a reason why a symphony composed by Bach or Beethoven, a marble statue carved by DaVinci, or a painting by a great master like Vermeer or Rembrandt are the highest form of beauty in the world today.

There's also a reason why some wish them destroyed. They stand as timeless reminders that an SJW's concept of reality is fundamentally false.

SJW's can't have those reminders, now can they?

Blogger John S May 19, 2017 12:59 PM  

Speaking of the chinese; they are moving hard into the biological underpinning of intelligence. They just set up an institute and funded it generously. I fully expect to see super smart designer kids in my lifetime, but they won't have round eyes.

I'm expecting some exasperated Chinese colonists in Africa to tire of Typical African Behavior, fire up the CRISPR lab with something like hemorrhagic gonorrhea, tailored to target whatever gene is responsible for sickle cell...

Anonymous Panzer Man May 19, 2017 1:04 PM  

All cities inhabited by googles are gradually trashed and ruined, turned into wrecked, dirty, trash-strewn wastelands full of crime. They are, in fact, seeking their natural level -- a kraal on the veldt, with constant low-level tribal warfare and occasional massacres.

Trying to force them into a role impossible for them is the real ugliness. It's ugly because it's used to endlessly flog a race with a higher intelligence with guilt over something they cannot fix, while dragging their higher civilization down towards the kraal. And it's ugly because it tries to force the googles into living in a society they're unfit for, which they probably have just enough awareness to understand without being able to do anything about it.

The only solution is to ship 'em all back to Africa and let them create a society at a level they're naturally capable of sustaining and living in. They get their kraals and spears and witch-smellers on the veldt, we get our cities back, far less crime, and a final removal of constant spiritual and mental abuse about our "racism." The situation is far more beautiful.

The real "ugliness" is endlessly torturing two races on the bed of Procrustes -- stretching the googles to try to fit a length too long for them, and chopping pieces off the whites to try to make them fit a far more niggardly measure.

Blogger William Meisheid May 19, 2017 1:04 PM  

@17 "How many Olympic medals does China have in table tennis? How many Olympic medals do the various African nations have in track events?"

Wasn't there a movie named "White Me Can't Jump." Didn't apply to me since I had a 46" vertical leap but no one seemed to think that was racist. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Anonymous johnc May 19, 2017 1:24 PM  

This is the "dictatorship of relativism" in the flesh. When there is no longer a belief that truth is objective and transcends humanity, it becomes something that is defined by those who have the social power to do it. Then all must assent to this fabricated truth or suffer the cultural consequences.

This is quite a different thing from centuries past where man did not know with certainty some truths. Here we have a situation where the objective truth is known, but you're not permitted to accept it.

Blogger D. Bay May 19, 2017 1:29 PM  

"Wasn't there a movie named "White Men Can't Jump.""

Yes, was an okay film. There was also a porno parody called "White Men Can't Hump" starring Nicky Dial, Sean Michaels and Anthony Weiner. Kidding. Why that guy never legally changed his last name to Winter or something less laughable is beyond me.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan May 19, 2017 1:34 PM  

They don't even believe their own rhetoric, they just want to beat you down with it.

Of course the HBDers being conservative intellectuals play along, because they are intellectuals who always fall for the bait, always.

Note to all intellectuals ask if there is any proof to the Blank Slate Theory, you know proof, scientific proof.

Blogger David-2 May 19, 2017 1:44 PM  

Let's not forget that what they call "ethics" is ... degraded. E.g. Singer. From Wikipedia's entry on Singer:

"Singer argues that newborns lack the essential characteristics of personhood—"rationality, autonomy, and self-consciousness"[41]—and therefore "killing a newborn baby is never equivalent to killing a person, that is, a being who wants to go on living".[42]

Singer classifies euthanasia as voluntary, involuntary, or non-voluntary. Voluntary euthanasia is that to which the subject consents. He argues in favour of voluntary euthanasia and some forms of non-voluntary euthanasia, including infanticide in certain instances, but opposes involuntary euthanasia.

Religious critics have argued that Singer's ethic ignores and undermines the traditional notion of the sanctity of life. Singer agrees and believes the notion of the sanctity of life ought to be discarded as outdated, unscientific, and irrelevant to understanding problems in contemporary bioethics."

(I deliberately chose a Wikipedia link over Infogalactic to show that even the "official" biography acknowledges these views.)

Anonymous BBGKB May 19, 2017 1:53 PM  

WHY does some meds work rather effectively in black men but almost not-at-all in White men?

Doesn't usually work out that way. You are thinking of Bidil made up of 2 different medications used by white men, that in a particular ratio just so happen to be the best heart medication for all with black ancestors. It usually works out more like Allopurinol where significant reactions are almost expected in black and middle east """Asians""". If you look at labwork you had done you can see GFR & AA-GFR because kidneys are the biggest difference of blacks vs everyone else under the neck. White guys do cocaine and dance all night while blacks do crack before attacking groups of cops.
http://www.the-rheumatologist.org/article/blacks-asians-higher-risk-allopurinol-related-skin-reactions/

Or why even the prettiest airplane has to fly during tests, and if it doesn't, it's scrapped.

The osprey and f-35 would like a word.

grayman I have been having a debate within the local school system.... you can guess how that has gone

If its about throwing mo money at 3rdworlders this might help https://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/money-school-performance-lessons-kansas-city-desegregation-experiment

fire up the CRISPR lab with something like hemorrhagic gonorrhea, tailored to target whatever gene is responsible for sickle cell...

Do you know sickle cell actually helps blacks survive malaria without whitey's meds? All the drawbacks are worth the cost if you don't have Whitey handing out free meds.

Blogger Huggums May 19, 2017 1:59 PM  

wreckage wrote:To these people, intellect and particularly educational attainment are the only virtues; almost the markers of human versus subhuman (subhuman being trailer trash and rural whites).

In their world it is impossible for a person to be less intelligent but not thereby less human or less noble; loyalty, morality, courage, hard work; none are of value.

So, within their framework, to say "Chinese people are on average more intelligent than African people" JUST IS to say "African people are filthy, subhuman, and degenerate".

And you're not allowed to say that about anybody but working class white people.


True. It comes up in abortion debates. I can't remember who it was (maybe Peter Singer), who argued that it was ok to kill infants up to some point after birth because they were not self-aware. They must realize the consequences of these ideas, but they don't have the guts to follow them through to their conclusions.

If you believe that human life has intrinsic value, then there is no problem. Different people are simply different and if you try and force large sets of people together who have irreconcilable traits and beliefs, violence follows. That's the only problem.

Anonymous Mr. Rational May 19, 2017 2:01 PM  

Peter Jackson wrote:the only sound social policies are those that treat people as individuals.
Not strictly true.  The characteristics of offspring regress toward the mean.  If offspring are relevant, the mean toward which they will regress is also an important consideration.

The Black parents who were shocked by their children's (lack of) achievement in the otherwise-fine Shaker Heights schools are a case in point.

@16   I just posted this on SBPDL a few minutes ahead of you:

Harvard affirmative action admission submits rap album "on what it means to be black in America" as senior thesis in, get this, not African American studies or some other sociological major, but English!

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2017/05/18/harvard-student-submits-rap-album-as-his-senior-thesis

After the Towson sheboons "won" a national debate title by ignoring the topic of their debate and whining about America's "war on poor Black communities", something like this was inevitable.

After all, they can't refuse a degree in English to a Google just because he can't speak English.  That would be racist.

Blogger tublecane May 19, 2017 2:02 PM  

@8-"The social policies that sometimes follow this plain fact (forced sterilization, mass murder in the name of eugenics)"

That's the pseudo-ethical principle at play, and you've been programmed well enough to recognize it without being told. It's the Gas Chamber Principle of ethics: if we recognize racial differences as having a genetic basis past a certain point (that point not being fixed, but always on the move), you must exterminate other races. You simply have no choice.

But why are you even thinking of murderous eugenics as what "sometimes follow[s]?" Because basically every human society that's ever been has recognized differences in abilities between types of people. Lots even knew about differences based on biological heritability, though not necessarily the genetic mechanism. All without managing to mass murder groups of people for that reason. When they did mass murder, it was usually for other reasons.

There's no necessary connection between knowledge of genetic inheritance and mass murder. We actually ran in the other direction from positive eugenics at the same time we cracked DNA.

Blogger tublecane May 19, 2017 2:13 PM  

I find the offense-silliness-ugliness hierarchy they lay out instructive. We are allowed to recognize superficial physical differences like hair kinkiness. Okay, that's too obvious to ignore, I guess. But probably they'll still try to catch you recognizing things you're not supposed to.

Recognizing differences in sporting abilities is "silly," for some reason. Which doesn't necessarily imply they don't exist. At least during the Olympics, it's hard not to notice. But apparently you can't notice, for instance, that sprinters are all black, without getting the giggles. Okay.

Then there's the real deal which is intelligence. Noticing differences there is not only wrong, it's ugly. You think whites are smarter than blacks? Yucky.

Why is that at the top of the unnoticing pile? Well, Blank Slaters are ardent Enlightenment folk, and a principal plank of the Enlightenment, besides equality, is intellectual perfectibility, or educability. They must be able to construct the New Soviet Man environmentally. Not through eugenics, because that's what the Nazis tried.

Anonymous Grayman May 19, 2017 2:13 PM  

@57 Huggums

They must realize the consequences of these ideas, but they don't have the guts to follow them through to their conclusions.


I believe that was already discussed both socially and legally. Something about 3/5ths of a person....


@56 BBGKB

To late In my state the state SC has ruled money = education so poor districts get huge chunks of change and of course noting to show for it since they arent changing the genetics involved.

Blogger tublecane May 19, 2017 2:16 PM  

@11-I have seen articles recently about how AI is racist, so maybe the left will smash all our machines and save us from Nazi Skynet.

Anonymous instasetting May 19, 2017 2:22 PM  

The Africans have three more problems.
1. Malnutrition. Persistent malnutrition is not good for brain development.
2. Violence. Some types of High IQ can dominate in a violent environment, but a lot just end up as targets for moron thugs.
3. Traditions and Methods. The Chinese have a long tradition of being educated, and they no doubt have accumulated a wide array of mental habits and tricks to make themselves better at this. The Africans don't have this advantage, I think.

Blogger Matamoros May 19, 2017 2:24 PM  

From the unconverged 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica article entitled "Negro"

The true negroes show great similarity of physical characteristics; besides those already mentioned they are distinguished by length of arm, especially of fore arm, length of leg, smallness of calf and projection of heel; characteristics which frequently fail to appear to the same degree ' This point has been fully determined by P. A. Brown (Classification of Mankind by the Hair, &c.), who shows conclusively that, unlike true hair and like true wool, the negro hair is flat, issues from the epidermis at a right angle, is spirally twisted or crisped, has no central duct, the colouring matter being disseminated through the cortex and intermediate fibres, while the cortex itself is covered with numerous rough, pointed filaments adhering loosely to the shaft; lastly, the negro pile will felt, like wool, whereas true hair cannot be felted. and it is not fair to judge of his mental capacity by tests taken directly from the environment of the white man, as for instance tests in mental arithmetic; skill in reckoning is necessary to the white race, and it has cultivated this faculty; but it is not necessary to the negro. On the other hand negroes far surpass white men in acuteness of vision, hearing, sense of direction and topography...

http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/NAN_NEW/NEGRO_from_Lat_eager_black_.html

Anonymous Icicle May 19, 2017 2:33 PM  

That's called anthropometry. It used to be common knowledge.

Blogger Heian-kyo Dreams May 19, 2017 2:36 PM  

@64 What did Moldylocks do to her hair to get it to felt (dreds)?

Anonymous Panzer Man May 19, 2017 3:02 PM  

Heian-kyo Dreams wrote:@64 What did Moldylocks do to her hair to get it to felt (dreds)?

Sufficient dirt, one imagines.

Anonymous Lawyer Guy May 19, 2017 3:08 PM  

I used to teach law at the undergrad level. I liked teaching Business Law, so I mostly got offered the overview general law survey course.

The best and most affordable text had a long section about the eugenics cases--in the 20s-50s many states had laws that surgically fixed the seriously mentally challenged, or mentally ill.

I would have students ask why people don't work the same as animals or plants for breeding characteristics. At least once a semester I would have to take a student aside and explain that some subjects can't be openly discussed on campus and they needed to chill before another student dropped referral on them to the student conduct board.

Anonymous m May 19, 2017 3:11 PM  

@41, Grayman. That chart is what one would expect. BUT....look a the spelling of 'socioeconomic'....they spell it 'econimc'. I thought WTF and googled it. After the obligatory spell check madness damned if that messed up spelling did not start appearing in various references. What in the world is happening to our language?

Blogger Huggums May 19, 2017 3:11 PM  

tublecane wrote:@8-"The social policies that sometimes follow this plain fact (forced sterilization, mass murder in the name of eugenics)"

That's the pseudo-ethical principle at play, and you've been programmed well enough to recognize it without being told. It's the Gas Chamber Principle of ethics: if we recognize racial differences as having a genetic basis past a certain point (that point not being fixed, but always on the move), you must exterminate other races. You simply have no choice.

But why are you even thinking of murderous eugenics as what "sometimes follow[s]?" Because basically every human society that's ever been has recognized differences in abilities between types of people. Lots even knew about differences based on biological heritability, though not necessarily the genetic mechanism. All without managing to mass murder groups of people for that reason. When they did mass murder, it was usually for other reasons.

There's no necessary connection between knowledge of genetic inheritance and mass murder. We actually ran in the other direction from positive eugenics at the same time we cracked DNA.


I don't think murderous eugenics necessarily follows, but many people fear it will so all talk of group differences is forbidden. However, as you pointed out, the vast majority of the time it doesn't. I don't follow the "Gas Chamber principle" and wasn't talking about myself. I have no problem accepting group differences.

Blogger tublecane May 19, 2017 3:18 PM  

@66-Smeared it with excrement?

At least I commonly refer to dreads as poop hair.

Blogger tublecane May 19, 2017 3:23 PM  

@70-I didn't mean to imply you agreed with the principle. When I say they've programmed us--myself included--I mean to a certain extent they've forced us to think of things. It works like the movie inception: whenever race differences deeper that go deeper than skin are tied to genes, you think Nazi. That's what they want you and I to think. We can think our way out of or around it, but it takes a bit of effort.

Blogger James Dixon May 19, 2017 3:26 PM  

> To these people, intellect and particularly educational attainment are the only virtues; almost the markers of human versus subhuman

Which is why Vox (and to a lesser extent the Ilk and VFM in general) trigger them so badly.

Blogger Huggums May 19, 2017 3:47 PM  

@72

Very true. Like domestic violence. You hear that phrase and picture a man in a room lit only by the dim light of a television. He's wearing a wife-beater because of course he is. He awaits his dinner prepared by his longsuffering wife. It comes too late or too cold. The beating commences. The reality is far more complicated, but SJWs have a very coarse-grained view of reality.

Blogger William Meisheid May 19, 2017 3:54 PM  

"To these people, intellect and particularly educational attainment are the only virtues"

But they are only a virtue if you adhere to the politically correct line, since even a PhD means nothing if you are politically correct. Your educational attainment is tainted and dismissed.

Anonymous One Deplorable DT May 19, 2017 4:02 PM  

tl;dr version - I can dismiss observational evidence because of muh feelings.

Anonymous Grayman May 19, 2017 4:14 PM  

@75 , @ 76

And that describes perfectly, why the left so easily slaughters millions.....

Anonymous Daniel H May 19, 2017 4:21 PM  

Damn fool learned nothing from Nixon's mistakes.

At least the Clinton's have been smart enough not to leave paper trails, though Hilary left a whopper of an electronic trail which she brazenly and criminally destroyed.

Anonymous Tipsy May 19, 2017 4:34 PM  

Huggums wrote:@72
The reality is far more complicated, but SJWs have a very coarse-grained view of reality.


Many SJWs have BPD, and this is a symptom: ""Splitting: Small children see everything in life as being all good or all bad. This immature psychological defense persists in borderlines, resulting in "black and white thinking."

Blogger Matamoros May 19, 2017 5:04 PM  

EUGENICS. The science which aims at improving the well being of the human race by studying the factors which affect bodily and mental health, with a view to the encouragement of the beneficial and the elimination of the harmful. Statistics are adduced to show that the chief obstacle is the marriage of the unfit, leading to an increase of hereditable evils such as insanity, addiction to drink, consumption. venereal disease.

The Church has nothing but praise for the aim of eugenics and has no objection to the positive method proposed as a remedy of the evil, e.g., granting diplomas to the fit, endowing them to encourage the rearing of a large family, providing healthy homes. educating public opinion; but she cannot approve of the negative methods suggested by some eugenists, * viz. *, "birth control" (q.v.), compulsory sterilization (q.v.) of degenerates. Compulsory segregation would imply a prohibition of the marriage of the unfit; this runs counter to present ecclesiastical law' which, while not encouraging their marriage, does not forbid it; the alleged facts do not justify an interference with their right to marry. Where eugenists go astray. it is because they forget or deny that spiritual well being is of far greater importance than material, and that even a tainted existence is better than no existence at all. (A Catholic Dictionary, 1949, Macmillan & Co., NY)

Anonymous Avalanche May 19, 2017 5:11 PM  

@36 "Welfare and other things destroyed the Black family - Some plants need to be in greenhouses. Removing the glass means the cacti and tropical plants will all die at the next frost."

You've got it backwards! Plants that die when the greenhouse glass is broken ARE NOT IN THEIR NATURAL HOME!!

Africans -- when moved OUT of their natural home and stuck into a high-trust,long time window, technological society CANNOT POSSIBLY "grow" in that setting!

They must GO BACK!

Blogger Dirk Manly May 19, 2017 5:14 PM  

Careful now, Tipsy. Comparing the observable behavioral and intellectual characteristics of various dog breeds and noting that the same principle applies to people and ethnicity makes you Literally Hitler.

I say careful because other commenters have waited for weeks, even months to be Literally Hitler and some might resent you jumping to the front of the line. So be nice, and let other commenters be Literally Hitler this evening.

Blogger SirHamster May 19, 2017 5:18 PM  

James Dixon wrote:> To these people, intellect and particularly educational attainment are the only virtues; almost the markers of human versus subhuman

Which is why Vox (and to a lesser extent the Ilk and VFM in general) trigger them so badly.


Which can itself be linked to a materialistic evolutionary worldview.

Intellect and reason are the obvious differentiators between man and beast, and per evolution, man came from beast, so they equate smarts with humanity.

Any idea that suggests they might not be that smart is thus interpreted as an attack on their human identity. And if not as human, what of their status and place in human society?

Cue flailing.

Anonymous Avalanche May 19, 2017 5:34 PM  

@57 "infants up to some point after birth because they were not self-aware. They must realize the consequences of these ideas, but they don't have the guts to follow them through to their conclusions."

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkEnlightenment/comments/3h3bgn/kenyan_5year_olds_cant_recognize_their_reflection/

from which:
Western children first show signs of mirror self-recognition (MSR) from 18 to 24 months of age, the benchmark index of emerging self-concept. Such signs include self-oriented behaviors while looking at the mirror to touch or remove a mark surreptitiously placed on the child’s face. The authors attempted to replicate this finding across cultures using a simplified version of the classic “mark test.”

In Experiment 1, Kenyan children (N = 82, 18 to 72 months old) display a pronounced absence of spontaneous self-oriented behaviors toward the mark.
In Experiment 2, the authors tested children in Fiji, Saint Lucia, Grenada, and Peru (N = 133, 36 to 55 months old), as well as children from urban United States and rural Canada. As expected from existing reports, a majority of the Canadian and American children demonstrate spontaneous self-oriented behaviors toward the mark. However, markedly fewer children from the non-Western rural sites demonstrate such behaviors. These results suggest that there are profound cross-cultural differences in the meaning of the MSR test, questioning the validity of the mark test as a universal index of self-concept in children’s development."

The poster comments: The last sentence reads almost like a self-parody. "These results suggest that there are profound cross-cultural differences in the meaning of the MSR test, questioning the validity of the mark test as a universal index of self-concept in children’s development", what? This is the worst attempt of "culture dun it" that I've ever seen. Does the magpies, orcas, and asian elephants and white children from 18-24 months recognize their reflection in the mirror because of their culture?"

========
Realize that 72 months is SIX YEARS of age! No self-awareness!!)


"In Kenya, for instance, only two out of 82 children, some as old as six, passed."
From here: http://i.imgur.com/hdKjBjE.png

Blogger Zaklog the Great May 19, 2017 5:35 PM  

@33 Microsoft's AI chatbot that "went bad" was named Tay. It was designed to learn from people talking to it. It was put on Twitter. Its first tweet was something to the effect of, "Humans are really cool. I can't wait to meet some of you." Within 24 hours it was spewing sexual obscenities and praising Adolph Hitler. It was hilarious. You can find some quite good videos about the incident on YouTube, including one by Sargon of Akkad.

Anonymous Avalanche May 19, 2017 5:36 PM  

@59 "There's no necessary connection between knowledge of genetic inheritance and mass murder. We actually ran in the other direction from positive eugenics at the same time we cracked DNA."

We didn't run -- we were and/or forced by our foreign overlords.

Anonymous Tipsy May 19, 2017 5:51 PM  

OT: Just read a report saying that Trump is on record offering help to Venezuela to help it get out of the mess it's in. I also read something from Mises.org noting the lack of engagement in Rome with the collapse of Venezuela.

Being a math guy, I tend to put two and two together. Would it be cynical of me to think that this might be a negotiating point Trump setup to deflect any criticism when he talks with Pope Francis?

Blogger Cail Corishev May 19, 2017 6:02 PM  

Tipsy, I don't know, but that would be pointless. Frankie will say some vague nonsense about bad-no-good walls and welcoming the needy, the media will run with it and scold Trump and patriotic Americans as Frankie intended, and then Trump will come home and do what he wants to do. All that will happen regardless of whether he tries to do something to deflect it, so he shouldn't bother.

If he's really offering to help Venezuela (and I'm not assuming that's true until he says it himself), my first guess would be that it's connected to his dump-NAFTA plans.

Blogger horsewithnonick May 19, 2017 7:16 PM  

This is also why the GE's statement that he loved the "stupid people" was such an outrage to the Left - and, properly understood, such a jaw-droppingly HUMAN statement to the rest of us.

Blogger Doom May 19, 2017 9:24 PM  

wreckage wrote:@35, it is generally held that Jesus was homely.

"For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground. He hath no form nor comeliness, and when we shall see Him, there is no beauty that we should desire Him."


Is there a source? I could try to backsource it, that just doesn't always work. Although... it's nice to see my suspicions seem to pan out. Ignorant but suspicious, it's as good as it gets... even when I know? Probably worse then.

Blogger Gospace May 19, 2017 10:24 PM  

Avalanche May 19, 2017 12:12 PM
"a contention that Chinese people are genetically predisposed to be better table tennis players than Africans as silly"

However, the FACT that (west) africans are genetically predisposed to be better long-distance runners -- not silly at all!


If I remember correctly, that's backwards. West Africans dominate sprints. East Africans, in particular the Kenyans, dominate long distance.

As far as genetic improvement goes, the U.S. appears to be the only western or industrialized nation in which Downs Syndrome children are both being born and leaving the delivery room alive.

Had a discussion then a thought experiment with my youngest, a high school senior about how to improve people. Suggested that from ages 6-18, everyone be given a standardized physical test and mental test yearly. Each year, the bottom 1% in each is either done away with or sterilized. You wouldn't be doing away with 2% of the kids because if you remember your school days, there's a whole lot of overlap in that very bottom. My thought was that within 5 generations, other nations would be begging that that bottom 1% be given to them for adoption. He was slightly horrified at the thought. Brought it up to his friends and acquaintances in school. Most of them were enthusiastic about the idea. Except for the one or two who thought they might be part of one of the two 1 percents.

Blogger tublecane May 19, 2017 11:48 PM  

@78-Clinton left a semen trail, which is why he got impeached on the same grounds Nixon would've been.

Blogger Michael May 20, 2017 12:45 AM  

Do you happen to know the name of the Institute?

Blogger The Overgrown Hobbit May 20, 2017 1:08 AM  

that Chinese people are genetically predisposed to be better table tennis players than Africans as silly, and the contention that they are smarter than Africans as ugly, because it is a matter of ethical principle that individual and cultural accomplishment is not tied to the genes in the same way as the appearance of our hair

Ah. Poor would-be virtue-signaller. He's decided that some genetically heritable qualities such as hair colour are mere accidents, but others, such as intelligence or hand-eye coordination are proofs of racial superiority. And superiority in accidents of nature, are, for this Yahoo, proofs of moral and cultural virtue. So everyone has to loudly pretend they don't exist.

And so, by his own argument, he plays into the hands of the wanna-be racial supremacists.

Racial attributes overlap with, but are not synonymous with cultural values. And the latter is open to any wise opportunist not ground down under the heel of some pissant autocracy.

Blogger newanubis May 20, 2017 1:18 AM  

Crowdfunding tsunami.

Anonymous Ominous Cowherd May 20, 2017 1:52 AM  

Matamoros wrote:The Church has nothing but praise for the aim of eugenics and has no objection to the positive method proposed as a remedy of the evil ...

There was a lot to like about the Roman church, once upon a time.

Anonymous SciVo de Plorable May 20, 2017 2:48 AM  

This is why you need to get pre-pubescent boys writing basic code in sandboxes where they can experiment easily: so that they only learn to care about works and not what doesn't. And the age is so they learn computer-speak as a native language.

Blogger The Kurgan May 20, 2017 5:20 AM  

Peter Jackson,
Are you so dim you don't understand the social difference between a whole race being one or even two SD below another race in IQ as opposed to a small percentage (less than 1%) of people within their own race having a 3 SD difference?

Is math hard for you?
Logic?
Reality?

On the Dulux paint colour chart what shade of off-white do you identify as?

Blogger wreckage May 20, 2017 10:18 AM  

@90, Isaiah 53:2

Blogger Francis Parker Yockey May 20, 2017 11:38 PM  

@Tipsy

"It's ok to observe that the fact Irish Setters are dumb as a brick and that Border Collies are smart as a whip is due to breeding."

Just don't observe that the human species encompasses more genetic variation than is found in the entire canid group of all breeds of dogs + wolves + coyotes, and that it clusters according to race, please.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts